R. Jackson Painter
Ph.D., 1994, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville KY
- Areas of Doctoral Study: Greco-Roman World, Second Temple Judaism, New Testament Literature, Hellenistic Greek, Near Eastern Archaeology
- Dissertation: “Mithraism and the Religious Context at Caesarea Maritima” M.Div. in Church Music, 1987, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville KY B.A. in Music, Summa Cum Laude, 1984, Samford University, Birmingham AL
- Other: Archaeological field work in Caesarea, Israel, June 1992; Historical and Geographical Settings course, Jerusalem University College, Israel, 2004.
Right on Mission Adjunct Professor, 2016-present.
- Courses Taught: Introduction to New Testament Greek, New Testament Greek Grammar, Jude in Greek, Get Right on Mission, God’s Mission.
Simpson University Redding, California Chair, Department of Theology and Ministry, 2016-2020, Professor of New Testament 2011-2020, Associate Professor of New Testament, 2002-2011
- Courses taught: Synoptic Gospels, Johannine Literature, Pauline Literature, General Epistles, Revelation, Beginning and Intermediate Greek, Hermeneutics, Literature of the New Testament, Biblical Theology, Biblical Criticism, Research Seminar.
- Faculty service: Chaired Instructional Assessment Committee and WASC Issue #1 Committee, 2003-2004; Faculty President, 2006 to 2009 (previously as co-chair and chair of Faculty Senate 2005-2006); Integrated Marketing Group, 2008-2010; chair of Faculty Personnel Committee, 2011-2013; Simpson University Strategic Planning Team, 2012; Presidential Search Committee, 2014
- Institutional liaison for Jerusalem University College, Jerusalem, Israel. Planned and led trips to Israel 2004 (co-led), 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019.
A. W. Tozer Theological Seminary Redding, California Adjunct Professor of New Testament, 2002-2020
- Taught graduate courses in Biblical Interpretation and all areas of New Testament in face-to-face, hybrid, and on-line formats. Served as Simpson University faculty liaison to the Tozer Academic Council.
Alliance Biblical Seminary (now Alliance Graduate School) Manila, Philippines Assistant Professor of New Testament, 1996-2002
- Courses taught: New Testament Introduction 1 (Backgrounds, Methods, Synoptic Gospels, Life of Jesus), Gospel of John, Acts, New Testament Introduction 2 (Pauline Literature), Elementary and Intermediate Greek, Greek Exegesis of Galatians, Greek Exegesis of Colossians, Greek Exegesis of Romans. Co-taught Muslim-Christian Encounter (my section: beginnings and history of Islam). Developed NT 1 into Distance Education course. Led graduate seminar “Second Temple Judaism, Qumran, and Greco-Roman Studies” for AGST Th.M./Ph.D. in Biblical Studies.
- Chaired Distance Education Committee; Disciplinary Committee member; advisor for Theological Studies Program, advisor for International Students Fellowship; directed ABS chorale.
Acting Academic Dean, Alliance Biblical Seminary, July 1998-April 2000
- Oversaw all aspects of academic program (admissions, schedule, budget, publicity, recruitment and hiring, degree programs, library, strategic planning).
- Coordinated preparation of three accreditation self-studies and represented ABS in accreditation visits.
- Evaluated two seminary programs as member of Asia Theological Association accreditation team.
- Led team in institutional renewal process (curriculum assessment and revision, faculty handbook, institutional mission statement and goals, etc.).
- Made and implemented day to day operations decisions along with president and two others on ABS administrative council.
Acting Director, Asia Graduate School of Theology (AGST) Th.M. New Testament program, 1998-2000
- Oversaw degree completion; advisor (directed four theses, reader for others).
- Worked on AGST dean’s council to plan and implement graduate level training programs (beyond M.A./M.Div.).
- Participated in development of AGST Ph.D. program.
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary Louisville, KY Adjunct Professor of New Testament, 1994-96 (Instructor 1992-1994; Garrett Teaching Fellow, 1990-92)
- Courses taught: Elementary Greek and New Testament Introduction.
Right on Mission Redding, CA
Instructor for on-line course “Get Right on Mission” Mission Statement Writer
Neighborhood Church of Redding Redding, CA
Small Group Bible Study Leader, intermittent 2004-2020
Christian and Missionary Alliance Manila, Philippines Missionary, 1996-2002
Union Church of Manila, Elder 2000-2002
- Preaching elder and chair of elders; co-chair of Senior Pastor Search Committee; chair of Missions/Benevolence Committee.
First Alliance Church Louisville, KY Minister of Music, 1991-92
Maryland/Delaware Baptist Convention Newark, DE Campus Minister at University of Delaware, 1988-90
Friendship Baptist Church Newark, DE Minister of Music and Youth, 1988-90
A Christian Ministry in the National Parks Yellowstone NP Staff Coordinator and Park Music Director, 1988
Society of Biblical Literature; Colloquium on Violence and Religion; Institute of Biblical Research.
Owens Distinguished Scholar Award, 2018, 2019, 2020; Dale Scholar Award, 2017, 2020; Faculty Scholarship Grant, 2005; Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society; Phi Mu Alpha Music Fraternity; Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Society; Outstanding Young Men of America, 1985; Eagle Scout
“Greco-Roman Religions at Caesarea Maritima,” in Terence L. Donaldson (ed.), Religious Rivalries and the Struggle for Success in Caesarea Maritima, Studies in Christianity and Judaism, Waterloo ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2000.
“The Origins and Social Context of Mithraism at Caesarea Maritima,” in same volume. Book Reviews:
Review of New Testament Greek, by Gerald Stevens. Review and Expositor 93 (1996) 299. Review of Josephus, The Essential Works, by Paul L. Maier. Review and Expositor 93 (1996) 433. Review of Love in the Gospel of John: An Exegetical, Theological, and Literary Study, by Francis Maloney. Religious Studies Review 41:1 (March 2015), 27.
Review of Raymond Brown, “The Jews”, And The Gospel Of John: From Apologia To Apology, by Sonya Shetty Cronin. Religious Studies Review 42:3 (September 2016), 211-212.
The Gospel of John: A Thematic Approach. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2010.
Ready for submission: Jude and the Death of James, An Exegetical and Historical Study
Works in progress: Psalms of David, Psalms of Jesus—The Psalms in the Messianic Consciousness of Jesus; The Odes of Solomon: Mystical Hymns of the Early Church; “The Argument of Romans 7:7-25”
“The Stream of Interpretation in the Study of Jude,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, November 2014.
“They have gone the way of Cain: Violence in the Letter of Jude (with reference to René Girard),” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Baltimore MD, November 2013.
“Mystical Identification with Christ in the Odes of Solomon,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2009.
“East Meets West: Caesarea Maritima in Josephus and the Acts of the Apostles,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, November 2006.
“For God so loved the world: the Global Implications of Salvation and Mission in the Gospel of John,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2003.
“Caesarea and the Origins of Mithraism,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, November 1995, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
“Religion at Caesarea Maritima to AD 100: Continuity and Conflict,” Canadian Society of Biblical Studies, June 1, 1995, Montreal, Canada.
“The Caesarea Mithraic Inscription,” Midwest SBL, February 13, 1995, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Community Volunteer Service
- Care-Net Crisis Pregnancy Center Board Member 2018-present
- Assistant Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troop 37, 2013-2017.
- Trinity Repertory Singers member 2013-14, 2015-2017. Occasional asst. conductor.
- Paddling instructor/guide for Penguin Paddlers Kayak Club 2003-2013.
- Kayak seminars for Leadership Redding, Healthy Shasta and Simpson University
- Served on City of Redding Cypress Avenue Boating Advisory Committee
- Volunteered at McConnell Arboretum 2003-2004
- Coached five seasons for Redding Youth Soccer League in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010